Kayode Karunwi, Ph.D.
Dr. Kayode Karunwi is a Research Professor in the Department of Biomedicine at Yachay Tech University. He received his Ph.D. in Bioengineering in Prof. Anthony Guiseppi-Elie’s lab at Clemson University, South Carolina, U.S.A. Dr. Karunwi’s research focused on carbon nanotube –enzyme conjugates for the fabrication of diagnostic biosensors and advanced biofuel cells. He combined both experimental research and computer simulation to develop and understand the implantable sensors. The techniques used span the fields of bioinformatics, biochemistry, electrochemistry, polymer chemistry, bioelectronics, nanotechnology, biomolecular engineering, and electrical engineering. He worked briefly with Molecular Devices on bio imaging equipment before joining the Physics faculty at Kennesaw State University. He co-mentored more than 50 different undergraduate design teams and some of the teams filed patents, licensed their technology and idea and won awards at diverse design competitions around the U.S. He received his Bachelor’s degree in Physics from Illinois Wesleyan University where his research area focused on Holographic Optical Tweezers and a Master’s degree in Physics from Clark Atlanta University where he investigated the phase transitions of Shape Memory Alloys using ab initio methods.
- Biosensors, Biofuel Cells, Biomaterials
- Biosecurity and Quality Control
- C. N. Kotanen, O. Karunwi, F. Alam, A. Guiseppi-Elie. “Fabrication and in vitro performance of a dual responsive lactate and glucose biosensor” Electrochimica Acta. 267, 71-79 (2018)
- C. N. Kotanen, O. Karunwi, A. Guiseppi-Elie. “Biofabrication Using Pyrrole Electropolymerization for the Immobilization of Glucose Oxidase and Lactate Oxidase on Implanted Microfabricated Biotransducers.” Bioengineering. 1(1), 85-110 (2014)
- Bedi, G., C. Kotanen, O. Karunwi, A. Nguyen, F. Bayram, B. Hudson, Y. Zhao, and A. Guiseppi-Elie. “Enzyme Biotransducers Formed from Conductive Electroactive Polymers.” Sensors IEEE 1-4 (2013)
- O. Karunwi, C. Baldwin, G. Griesheimer, S. Sarupria, A. Guiseppi-Elie “Molecular Dynamics Simulations of Peptide-SWCNT Interactions Related to Enzyme Conjugates for Biosensors and Biofuel Cells.” NanoLife 3 (4) (2013)
- O. Karunwi, A. N. Wilson, C. N. Kotanen and A. Guiseppi-Elie “Engineering the Abio-bio Interface to Enable More than Moore in Functional Bioelectronics” Journal of The Electrochemical Society 160 (4), B60-B65 (2013)
- O. Karunwi, A. Guiseppi-Elie “Supramolecular Glucose Oxidase-SWNT Conjugates Formed by Ultrasonication: Effect of Tube Length, Functionalization and Processing Time.” Journal of Nanobiotechnology, 11(1), 6. (2013)
- M. Kyoung, K. Karunwi, E. D. Sheets “A Versatile Multi-Mode Microscope to Probe and Manipulate Nanoparticles and Biomolecules” Journal of Microscopy 225 (2), 137–146 (2007)
- J. Leach, K. Wulff, G. Sinclair, P. Jordan, J. Courtial, L. Thomson, G. Gibson, K. Karunwi, J. Cooper, Z. J. Laczik, M. Padgett “An Interactive Approach to Optical Tweezer Control” Applied Optics, 45 (5), 897-903 (2006)