English as our official Language
Yachay Tech, being an international university, focused on research, innovation and technology transfer, has designated English as the official language of the institution. In order to attract human talent from a wide variety of countries and diverse ethnic backgrounds,it is important to acknowledge that the world community has chosen English as the official language of science, technology and business.
At the same time Spanish is also the official language, since it is an institution in Ecuador, thus ensuring the integration of its members into Ecuadorian society.
Specifically, English will be the primary language for:
- Teaching of all subjects from the fifth semester.
- Teaching and research, both Master and PhD.
- Of all external communications with the exception of communications with the Ecuadorian government
- Of all graduation ceremonies, public and official events and academic conferences.
Spanish will be the main language for:
- Teaching the first two years of studies.
- Of all external communications with governments, Ecuadorian State institutions and agencies, as well as cities and municipalities.
The English Language Program’s (ELP’s) mission is to support Yachay Tech in its goal to increase English literacy in order to build communities. We provide a safe and comfortable learning environment where students can increase their global engagement and literacy. Our student-centered classes help students to demonstrate their English competence through activities which promote knowledge-building, critical thinking, and idea expression. Our courses are designed to assist students in reaching their academic and professional goals which extend beyond Yachay Tech.
The ELP provides students the opportunity to develop language and cultural competence in order to make their success at Yachay Tech and beyond an attainable goal. It is our goal to deliver high-quality curriculum that facilitates student journeys toward language acquisition. We rely upon the expertise and research of our instructors, as well as our students as informants, for our on-going refinement of our English as a Foreign Language (EFL) pedagogy. To guarantee the continued enhancement of our students’ classroom experiences, we are committed to providing English courses and professional development opportunities for faculty, staff and the community.
Yachay Tech has a strong commitment to foster academic excellence and enrich lives by using English as a tool for unity and collaboration. Likewise, the ELP is dedicated to fostering an international perspective in order to bring multicultural perspectives and appreciation.
ELP courses are integrated skills courses which include topics that focus on sciences, humanities, and current events in order to expose students to a variety of subjects while providing a solid foundation for later studies.
- Levels 1 – 4, English for Communicative Purposes, are foundational courses for communicative English, with a focus on grammar, speaking, listening, writing, and reading.
- Levels 5-6, English for Academic Purposes, assume that students possess basic communicative skills but need to align their abilities with academic expectations.
These classes encourage students to apply their previous linguistic knowledge on academic writing assignments and group projects that encourage collaboration and critical thinking.